The Franco-Japanese concern has been assembling the 1.6-liter Renault H4M gasoline engine since 2004 and installing it on its most popular models, such as the Logan, Duster, Kaptur and Arkana. This power unit is essentially one of the variants of the well-known Nissan HR16DE engine.
This motor was developed by Nissan for its European Tiida and Note models and was first introduced at the Paris Motor Show in 2004, but naturally as the HR16DE. The design was classic for Japanese power units of those years: a timing chain drive, a 4-cylinder in-line aluminum block and a 16-valve cylinder head without hydraulic lifters. The throttle valve had an electric drive, and the distributed injection system had two versions: the usual one for budget models or with two nozzles per cylinder for Megane and Fluence. The big advantage of the engine was the ability to fit into the strict Euro 5 environmental standards.
|Production years||since 2004|
|Power output, hp||110 – 115|
|Torque output, Nm||150 – 155|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||78|
|Piston stroke, mm||83.6|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.6|
|Euro standards||EURO 5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Renault Logan 2017)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Renault Arkana 1 (LCM) since 2019;
- Renault Duster 1 (HS) since 2016;
- Renault Fluence 1 (L38) in 2012 – 2017;
- Renault Kaptur 1 (H5) since 2016;
- Renault Logan 2 (L52) since 2016;
- Renault Logan 2 Stepway (L52S) since 2018;
- Renault Megane 3 (X95) in 2013 – 2016; Megane 4 (XFB) since 2016;
- Renault Sandero 2 (B52) since 2016;
- Renault Sandero 2 Stepway (B52S) since 2016;
- Nissan Terrano 3 (D10) since 2016;
- Lada Vesta sedan 2180 since 2019;
- Lada Vesta Cross 2180 since 2019;
- Lada Vesta SW 2181 since 2019;
- Lada Vesta SW Cross 2181 since 2019;
- Lada X-Ray hatchback since 2016;
- Lada X-Ray Cross since 2019.
Disadvantages of the Renault H4M engine
- The most notorious problem with this very reliable engine is lubricant consumption. Oil consumption may appear immediately or when the engine mileage reaches 120-150 thousand km. In the first case, choosing the right oil will help you, and in the second, only a major overhaul.
- The chain is designed for the entire engine life, but for frisky drivers it extends to 150,000 km. Replacement is inexpensive, but it is not uncommon to have to change the phase shifter, which doubles the price.
- Loud knocks under the hood are most often caused by unadjusted valves. However, the source of noise may be a worn motor mount, usually the right one.
- Common problems of the unit include the ever-whistling alternator belt, a rather gentle ignition unit relay, and burnout of the muffler exhaust pipe gasket.