The Nissan HR16DE engine is a logical extension of the Renault K4M engine. The gas distribution mechanism and electronic control were mainly modernized. Also, the engine was equipped with a timing chain drive, new camshafts and two fuel injectors per cylinder. Hydraulic compensators were removed from the engine (adjustment by selection of pushers every 100 thousand km). The variable valve timing system remained on the intake shaft. The engine has become more economical than its predecessor, more powerful and more environmentally friendly.
The design was quite common for the Japanese engine industry of those years: an aluminum block with cast-iron sleeves and an open cooling jacket, an aluminum 16-valve head, a timing chain drive, an inlet dephaser and solid pushers instead of hydraulic compensators.
Fuel injection here is distributed, but not quite ordinary, with two nozzles per cylinder, and thanks to the use of an electronic throttle assembly, the engine was able to fit into Euro 5. A similar Renault H4M engine has modifications with one and two nozzles per cylinder.
(PDF, 4 mb)
Dongfeng Motor Company
|Cylinder block alloy||aluminum|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Piston stroke, mm||83.6|
|Cylinder bore, mm||78|
|Power output, hp||108/5600
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||142/4000
|Euro standards||Euro 4/5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (Sentra)
|Oil consumption, gr/1000 km||up to 500|
|Recommended engine oil||0W-30 / 0W-40 / 5W-30 / 5W-40 / 10W-30 / 10W-40 / 10W-60 / 15W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.3|
|Oil change interval, km||15000|
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Nissan Cube 3 (Z12) in 2009 – 2011;
- Nissan Bluebird Sylphy G11 in 2005 – 2012;
- Nissan Juke 1 (F15) in 2010 – 2019;
- Nissan Kicks 1 (P15) in 2016 – …;
- Nissan Latio N17 in 2011 – …;
- Nissan Livina 1 (L10) in 2006 – 2019;
- Nissan Micra 3 (K12) in 2007 – 2010;
- Nissan Micra 4 (K13) in 2010 – 2017;
- Nissan Note 1 (E11) in 2006 – 2013;
- Nissan Note 2 (E12) in 2012 – 2020;
- Nissan NV200 1 (M20) in 2009 – …;
- Nissan Qashqai 1 (J10) in 2006 – 2013;
- Nissan Sentra 7 (B17) in 2012 – 2020;
- Nissan Sentra 8 (B18) in 2019 – …;
- Nissan Tiida 1 (C11) in 2007 – 2012;
- Nissan Tiida 2 (C13) in 2015 – 2016;
- Nissan Versa C11 in 2006 – 2018;
- Nissan Wingroad Y12 in 2008 – 2017.
Disadvantages of the HR16DE engine
- This very reliable motor in the first years of production was marked by a whole bunch of problems: there were difficulties with starting in cold weather, the ring of the exhaust pipe of the muffler often burned out, a mass recall campaign was carried out to replace the defective ignition unit relay.
- The most famous disadvantage of this motor is the progressive oil consumption. Often it appears already at low mileage and disappears after the selection of a different lubricant, but most often the oil burn begins after 100,000 km only the replacement of the rings helps.
- Many owners are faced with stretching the timing chain at a range of about 200,000 km. Often, in addition to the chain, sprockets and shoes, replacement requires an expensive phase regulator.
- To the minor problems of the power unit, we will attribute not the largest resource of its supports, the ever-whistling alternator belt and the need to adjust valve clearances.