The 2.3-liter Ford SEWA or 2.3 Duratec HE engine was produced from 2006 to 2015 and was installed on two very popular Galaxy and S-MAX minivans in the automotive market. This power unit is essentially a clone of the famous Japanese Mazda MZR L3-VE engine.
DURATEC HE family:
1.8 L – CFBA, CHBA, QQDB;
2.0 L – AODA, AOWA, CJBA, XQDA;
2.3 L – SEWA, SEBA;
2.5 L – YTMA.
The engine was installed on:
- Ford Galaxy Mk2 in 2006 – 2015;
- Ford S-MAX Mk1 in 2006 – 2015.
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||161|
|Torque output, Nm||208|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||87.5|
|Piston stroke, mm||94|
|Phase regulator||inlet iVCT|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.3|
|Euro standards||EURO 4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Ford S-MAX 2008)
|Engine lifespan, km||~375 000|
Disadvantages of the SEWA engine
- The most common engine failures are the ignition system components and the fuel pump;
- When using cheap oil, the phase regulator can knock already by 100,000 km;
- By a run of 200 – 250 thousand km, the timing chain most often stretches and requires replacement;
- After several cartridge changes, it is not uncommon for the oil filter assembly to leak;
- Catalyst particles enter the cylinders, scratch the walls and cause oil burns.