The 1.8-liter Ford CFBA or 1.8 Duratec SCi engine was produced only from 2003 to 2007 and was installed only on the third generation of the European version of the Mondeo after the first restyling. This power unit has earned a negative reputation due to the capricious fuel system.
The engine was installed on:
- Ford Mondeo Mk3 in 2003 – 2007.
|Fuel system||direct injection|
|Power output, hp||130|
|Torque output, Nm||175|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||83|
|Piston stroke, mm||83.1|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.4|
|Euro standards||EURO 4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Ford Mondeo 2006)
|Engine lifespan, km||~250 000|
Disadvantages of the CFBA engine
- Due to the presence of a direct injection system, this engine is demanding on fuel quality.
- For the same reason, intake valves quickly become overgrown with soot and compression drops.
- From low-quality gasoline, the filter in the tank becomes clogged and the fuel pump fails.
- Quite often, a valve cover leaks here and oil rushes into the candle wells.
- Approximately 200 – 250 thousand kilometers here may require replacement of the timing chain.