1.6-liter Renault M5Mt or 1.6 TCe turbo engine was produced by the company from 2013 to 2018 and installed both on the sports version of the Clio 4 RS, and on the civilian Megane and Talisman models. This unit was essentially a variation of the well-known Nissan MR16DDT turbo engine.
The TCe line includes engines: H4Bt, H4Dt, H5Dt, D4Ft, H5Ft, H5Ht, H4Jt, M5Mt, M5Pt, F4Rt.
In 2013, the concern’s new turbo engine with the 1.6 TCe index debuted on the Clio 4 RS model, which was a clone of the MR16DDT engine already known for the turbo version of the Juke crossover. This is an aluminum 4-cylinder 16-valve power unit with direct fuel injection, timing chain drive, dephasers on both shafts and a turbine manufactured by Mitsubishi. There were two versions: R.S. TCe 200 and R.S. Trophy TCe 220 with 200 and 220 hp respectively.
Two years later, civilian versions of the engine appeared on the Espace, Megane and Talisman models. The following modifications of this unit were offered: TCe 150, TCe 165, TCe 200 and TCe 205.
|Fuel system||direct injection|
|Power output, hp||150 – 205 (civilian)
200 – 220 (sports)
|Torque output, Nm||220 – 280 (civilian)
240 – 280 (sports)
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||79.7|
|Piston stroke, mm||81.1|
|Phase regulator||on both shafts|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.8|
|Euro standards||EURO 5/6|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Renault Megane 2017)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Renault Clio 4 (X98) in 2013 – 2018;
- Renault Espace 5 (JFC) in 2015 – 2017;
- Renault Kadjar 1 (HA) in 2016 – 2018;
- Renault Megane 4 (XFB) in 2016 – 2018;
- Renault Talisman 1 (L2M) in 2015 – 2018.
Disadvantages of the Renault M5Mt engine
- This motor does not like low temperatures, it freezes the crankcase gas line, which leads to a strong oil leak. Sometimes it even squeezes out through the dipstick. With a long drive along the highway in frost, traction disappears here due to freezing of the throttle.
- From regular abrupt starts, the timing chain quickly stretches, usually already by 100,000 km.
- Owners of cars with this engine often encounter sensor failure. Most often, the boost pressure and mass air flow sensor worries.
- The main reason for the unstable operation of the motor is the contamination of the throttle assembly, as well as carbon deposits on the intake valves, but this is just a feature of the direct injection engine.