The 2.0-liter Toyota 3Y carburetor engine was produced by the concern from 1982 to 1991 and was installed on Town Ace and Hiace minibuses, Hilux pickups, and Crown S120 sedans. There were modifications of the unit with a catalyst 3Y-C, 3Y-U and gas versions 3Y-P, 3Y-PU.
The engine was installed on:
- Toyota Crown 7 (S120) in 1983 – 1987;
- Toyota Hilux 4 (N50) in 1983 – 1988;
- Toyota HiAce 3 (H50) in 1982 – 1989;
- Toyota TownAce 2 (R20) in 1983 – 1991.
|Power output, hp||85 – 100|
|Torque output, Nm||155 – 165|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 8v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||86|
|Piston stroke, mm||86|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 0|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Toyota Hiace 1985)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
Disadvantages of the Toyota 3Y engine
- Many problems are associated with malfunctions of a complex carburetor design;
- This unit also uses the original ignition system and fuel pump;
- Watch the cooling system, here the cylinder head quickly leads with a breakdown of the gasket;
- Often there are complaints of knocking due to unscrewing the pulley block;
- Already after 100,000 km oil consumption often appears up to a liter per 1000 km.