The 2.2-liter Toyota 4Y carbureted engine was produced by the company from 1985 to 1997 and was installed on the popular Town Ace and HiAce minibuses, Hilux pickups and Crown S130 sedans. Especially for commercial vehicles, a modification derated up to 70 hp was produced.
The engine was installed on:
- Toyota Crown 8 (S130) in 1987 – 1995;
- Toyota HiAce 3 (H50) in 1985 – 1989;
- Toyota Hilux 5 (N80) in 1988 – 1997;
- Toyota Town Ace 2 (R20) in 1985 – 1996;
- Volkswagen Taro 1 (7A) in 1989 – 1997.
|Power output, hp||90 – 95|
|Torque output, Nm||175 – 185|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 8v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||91|
|Piston stroke, mm||86|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 0|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Toyota Hilux 1990)
|Engine lifespan, km||~320 000|
Disadvantages of the Toyota 4Y engine
- The main difficulties are associated with setting up a structurally complex carburetor;
- Also in this engine is an unusual ignition system and an original fuel pump;
- From overheating, the head of the block very often leads here and usually with a breakdown of the gasket;
- On specialized forums, several cases are described with unscrewing the pulley block;
- Closer to 200,000 km, the power units of this series often consume oil.