The 2.4-liter Toyota 2L diesel engine was assembled at the company’s factories from 1982 to 2004 and put on many popular models of its time, such as Hiace, Hilux, Crown and Mark II. During the modernization of the motor in 1988, the rocker arms were replaced with conventional pushers.
Toyota 2L-T was produced by the concern from 1984 to 2001. On it, also during the modernization of 1988, the rocker arms here gave way to conventional pushers.
Toyota 2L-TE turbo diesel engine was assembled by the company from 1989 to 2001. The 2LTE unit differed from the similar 2LT in the presence of an electronically controlled injection pump Denso.
The company assembled the Toyota 2L-THE from 1988 to 1999 and installed it only on the Crown model, especially often such units are found on taxis.
- The 2L engine was installed on: 4Runner 1 (N60), Blizzard 2 (LD20), Chaser 3 (X70), Chaser 4 (X80), Cresta 2 (X70), Cresta 3 (X80), Crown 7 (S120), Crown 8 (S130), HiAce 3 (H50), HiAce 4 (H100), Hilux Surf N60, Hilux 4 (N50), Hilux 5 (N80), Hilux 6 (N140), Kijang 3 (F40), Kijang 4 (F60), Land Cruiser 70 (J70), Mark II 4 (X60), Mark II 5 (X70), Mark II 6 (X80).
- The 2L-T engine was installed on: 4Runner 1 (N60), Blizzard 2 (LD20), Cresta 2 (X70), Cresta 3 (X80), Crown 7 (S120), Crown 8 (S130), Hilux Surf N60, Hilux Surf N120, Hilux 4 (N50), Hilux 5 (N80), Hilux 6 (N140), Land Cruiser 70 (J70), Mark II 5 (X70), Mark II 6 (X80).
- The 2L-TE engine was installed on: Cresta 4 (X90), Cresta 5 (X100), Crown 8 (S130), Crown 9 (S140), Crown 10 (S150), HiAce 4 (H100), Hilux 5 (N80), Hilux 6 (N140), Hilux Surf N120, LC Prado J70, Mark II 7 (X90), Mark II 8 (X100).
- The 2L-THE engine was installed on: Crown 8 (S130), Crown 9 (S140).
|Power output, hp||75 – 85 (2L 1 gen.)
89 (2L 2 gen.)
85 – 90 (2L-T 1 gen.)
94 (2L-T 2 gen.)
|Torque output, Nm||155 – 165 (2L 1 gen.)
167 (2L 2 gen.)
188 (2L-T 1 gen.)
216 (2L-T 2 gen.)
220 – 240 (2L-TE)
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||cast iron 8v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||92|
|Piston stroke, mm||92|
|Compression ratio||22.3 (2L)
21.0 (2L-TE, 2L-THE)
CT20 (2L-T, 2L-TE)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.5 (2L 1 gen.)
6.1 (2L 2 gen.)
7.1 (2L-T 1 gen.)
6.8 (2L-T 2 gen.)
|Euro standards||EURO 0 (2L 1 gen.)
EURO 1 (2L 2 gen.)
EURO 0 (2L-T 1 gen.)
EURO 1 (2L-T 2 gen.)
EURO 1/2 (2L-TE)
EURO 2 (2L-THE)
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Toyota Hiace 1985)
|Engine lifespan, km||~260 000|
|Weight, kg||230 (2L)
250 (2L-T, 2L-TE, 2L-THE)
Disadvantages of the Toyota 2L engine
- Due to a not very successful cooling system, these diesel engines overheat very often;
- From high temperatures, the head leads in them, the seals crack and leaks appear;
- The turbine, fuel injectors and water pump are also distinguished by a modest resource here;
- When the timing belt breaks in the engine, not only the valves bend, but the camshaft bursts;
- There are no hydraulic lifters and valve clearances periodically need to be adjusted.