The 1.6-liter Toyota 1Y carbureted engine was produced by the company from 1982 to 1991 and was installed on Town Ace minibuses, Toyo Ace delivery trucks or Hiace Trucks. There was a version of this engine with an exhaust cleaning system with its own index 1Y-J.
The engine was installed on:
- Toyota Hilux 4 (N50) in 1983 – 1988;
- Toyota TownAce 2 (R20) in 1983 – 1992.
|Power output, hp||84|
|Torque output, Nm||135|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 8v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||86|
|Piston stroke, mm||70|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 0|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Toyota Town Ace 1984)
|Engine lifespan, km||~250 000|
Disadvantages of the Toyota 1Y engine
- The engines of this series are difficult to repair, and also have a lot of original components;
- It has its own sophisticated carburetor and a specific ignition system;
- The whole life of the owner of a car with such an engine passes in the fight against air leaks;
- The oil filter is located upside down here, it is difficult not to get dirty when replacing;
- On long runs, oil consumption often appears up to 1 liter per 1000 km.