2NZ engine – 4-stroke 4-cylinder gasoline with electronic fuel injection and ignition control system, in-line cylinders and pistons rotating one common crankshaft, with two overhead camshafts (usually with a variable valve timing system of an internal combustion engine VVT-i). The engine has a closed-type forced circulation liquid cooling system. Combined lubrication system: pressure and spray.
The 2NZ-FE engine was redesigned in 2003 due to the introduction of Euro 4 emission standards. The following changes were made to the engine:
- the shape of the piston has been changed;
- changed the shape of the exhaust manifold;
- the design of the three-way catalytic converter has been changed;
- installed three-way catalytic converter;
- the ECU has been changed to 32 bit.
|Also called||Toyota 2NZ|
|Cylinder block alloy||aluminum|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Piston stroke, mm||73.5|
|Cylinder bore, mm||75|
|Power output, hp||84/6000|
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||121/4400|
|Euro standards||Euro 5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Yaris XP90)
|Oil consumption, gr/1000 km||up to 1000|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30 / 10W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.7|
|Oil change interval, km||10000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C||~90|
|Engine lifespan, km
— official information
- Increased oil consumption. The problem is noticed after about 150 thousand kilometers. It can be solved either by replacing the rings and caps, or by decarbonizing.
- Noises in the motor. The main reason is the timing chain stretching. As a rule, it appears after 200 thousand kilometers. It just needs to be replaced. Also check the damper and chain tensioner.
- The turnovers of the XX have floated. It is required to clean the BDZ throttle-valve module, as well as the detector and valve at idle speed.
- A whistling sound appeared in the engine. This is a characteristic of a cracked alternator belt. It just needs to be replaced.
- Vibrations from the unit. It is necessary in sequence: check the front cushion, clean the injectors, replace the fuel filter.
Problems also include: breakdown of the oil pressure sensor, leakage of the rear oil seal on the crankshaft, inability to repair the cylinder block. Most often, upon reaching 200 thousand km of run, the motor changes. The use of quality engine oil will help to increase the durability of the Toyota 2NZ engine.
The Toyota 2NZ-FE has a five-bearing aluminum cylinder block and thin-walled cast iron liners. It has a bore of 75.0 and a stroke of 73.5 mm. The engine has a crankshaft with four counterweights and an integrated crankshaft position sensor.
The steel connecting rods for the 2NZ-FE engine have caps that are held in place by bolts from the plastic area. The engine is equipped with aluminum alloy pistons, semi-floating piston pins and low voltage rings (two compressor rings and one oil control ring).
The 2NZ-FE cylinder head is made of aluminum alloy, which ensures good cooling efficiency. The engine has 2 overhead camshafts driven by a roller timing chain with 8.0mm pitch and 4 valves per cylinder (16 in total). The timing chain is lubricated with engine oil from an oil jet. The engine has a pentroof type combustion chamber and cross manifolds.
The 2NZ-FE used variable valve timing with intelligent system (VVT-i) on the intake camshaft. The intake valves are 30.5 mm in diameter and the exhaust valves are 25.5 mm. The engine has an intake duration of 225 degrees and an exhaust duration of 216 degrees. The 2NZ engine used special shims to adjust the valve clearance.