The Nissan VQ25HR 2.5-liter V6 engine has been produced at the Japanese plant in Iwaki since 2006 and is installed on the base versions of some models of the company on the Front Midship platform. Now such a power unit is installed only on the Fuga sedan for the local automotive market.
By design, this naturally aspirated V6 engine was not so different from its counterpart: here an aluminum block with a pair of DOHC heads without hydraulic lifters, a timing chain drive, and the intake and exhaust shafts are equipped with a CVTCS variable valve timing system.
In 2010, first the Chinese and then the European modifications of such an engine appeared, but apart from a little more power and other catalysts, they practically did not differ.
The engine was installed on:
- Infiniti G25 4 (V36) in 2010 – 2014;
- Infiniti EX25 1 (J50) in 2010 – 2013;
- Infiniti M25 4 (Y51) in 2010 – 2013;
- Infiniti Q70 1 (Y51) in 2013 – 2018;
- Nissan Fuga 1 (Y50) in 2007 – 2009;
- Nissan Fuga 2 (Y51) in 2009 – …;
- Nissan Skyline 12 (V36) in 2006 – 2014;
- Mitsubishi Proudia 2 (BY51) in 2012 – 2016.
|Start of production||2006|
|Power output, hp||220 – 235|
|Torque output, Nm||250 – 265|
|Cylinder block||aluminum V6|
|Block head||aluminum 24v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||85|
|Piston stroke, mm||73.3|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.7|
|Euro standards||EURO 4/5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Nissan Skyline 2007)
|Engine lifespan, km||~500 000|
Disadvantages of the VQ25HR engine
- The most problematic place of this motor is the catalyst, which is destroyed by bad fuel. Its crumbs then end up in the cylinders, where they leave scuff marks. All this leads to high oil consumption, which only increases with mileage.
- Until 2012, these engines used paper gaskets for oil channels located under the front cover. Often they are squeezed out even before 100 – 150 thousand km. Next, the lubrication pressure decreases, which often ends with the turning of the liners.
- With a particularly aggressive ride, air filters can be crushed, of which there are two, and the risk of breakdown of the cylinder head gasket and oil getting into the antifreeze also increases sharply. For the same reason, the camshaft covers coke and the engine starts to stall. Since hydraulic compensators are not provided, the valves have to be adjusted here.