The 3.0-liter diesel engine Renault-Nissan V9X or 3.0 dCi was assembled from 2008 to 2015 and was installed on such concern models as the Laguna, Pathfinder, Navara and Infiniti crossovers. This diesel has a controversial reputation for being very costly to repair.
In 2005, Renault-Nissan engineers began developing a large diesel engine and it was decided to create a V6-type power unit with an unusual camber angle of 65°. The design of this motor is as follows: a V-shaped 6-cylinder block made of lightweight CGI cast iron, aluminum DOHC cylinder heads with hydraulic lifters, a variable geometry turbocharger, a timing chain drive and a Bosch Common Rail fuel system with piezo injectors. To clean the exhaust, a special metal oxide catalytic converter was used here.
In 2008, this diesel engine made its debut on Laguna, but the engine really gained wide distribution only two years later, when it began to be installed on the Pathfinder SUV, Navara pickups, as well as a number of Infiniti premium brand models for the European market. In 2015, due to the impossibility of switching to Euro 6, such an engine was discontinued.
The engine was installed on:
- Renault Laguna 3 (X91) in 2008 – 2015;
- Renault Latitude 1 (L70) in 2011 – 2012;
- Infiniti EX30d 1 (J50) in 2010 – 2013;
- Infiniti FX30d 2 (S51) in 2010 – 2013;
- Infiniti M30d 4 (Y51) in 2010 – 2013;
- Infiniti QX50 1 (J50) in 2013 – 2015;
- Infiniti QX70 1 (S51) in 2013 – 2015;
- Infiniti Q70 1 (Y51) in 2013 – 2014;
- Nissan Navara 2 (D40) in 2010 – 2015;
- Nissan Pathfinder 3 (R51) in 2010 – 2014.
|Fuel system||Common Rail|
|Power output, hp||230 – 240|
|Torque output, Nm||450 – 550|
|Cylinder block||cast iron V6|
|Block head||aluminum 24v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||84|
|Piston stroke, mm||90|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||8.3|
|Euro standards||EURO 5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Nissan Pathfinder 2012)
|Engine lifespan, km||~250 000|
|Weight, kg||185 (without attachments)|
Disadvantages of the Renault V9X engine
- Due to the very narrow crankshaft journals, the diesel engine is extremely sensitive to lubrication pressure and, with any drop in the performance of the oil pump, turns the liners here. The network describes many cases of the oil filter sealing ring getting directly into the oil pump, which often leads to a wedge and failure of the power unit.
- Oil scraper rings can lie down already by 100,000 km of run and lubricant consumption will appear, but the worst thing is if it squeezes out the compression ring and it leaves scratches on the wall. Repair dimensions of the pistons are not provided and the cylinder bore cannot be finished.
- With active driving, timing chains often stretch to a range of 100 – 150 thousand kilometers. The kit is not so expensive, but to replace it, you need to remove the power unit.
- A very modest resource and a very high price in this motor is distinguished by an intercooler. Sometimes it can leak on runs of 50 – 70 thousand km and welding does not help him for a long time.
- An EGR valve with a built-in cooler is not cheap, but it clogs very quickly, so don’t clean it. It’s good that it can be turned off.