The Nissan VQ35HR 3.5-liter V6 engine has been assembled at the company’s Japanese plant since 2006 and is installed on numerous Nissan models based on the Front Midship platform. At the moment, such a unit is used only as part of a hybrid power plant.
In 2006, an improved version of the VQ35DE engine appeared for models on the FM platform. Here is a similar aluminum cylinder block with a pair of DOHC heads without hydraulic lifters, a timing chain drive and a CVTCS type phase control system. But they also have some differences: the cylinder block has become 8 mm higher and has been reinforced, the necks and crankshaft liners have become larger, the length of the connecting rods has grown from 144 to 152 mm, other pistons with asymmetric skirts have appeared, phase regulators are now on the inlet and outlet , and the compression ratio was raised from 10.3 to 10.6.
They seriously redesigned the intake and exhaust in the new engine, increased the oil pump gear, and thanks to the DLC coating of the camshaft cams and pushers, their friction decreased by 40%. The cooling system has been modernized and the problem of overheating 5-6 cylinders is no more.
The engine was installed on:
- Infiniti G35 4 (V36), Q50 1 (V37), EX35 1 (J50), FX35 2 (S51), M35 3 (Y50), M35h 4 (Y51), Q70 1 (Y51);
- Nissan 350Z 5 (Z33), Cima 5 (Y51), Fuga 1 (Y50), Fuga 2 (Y51), Skyline 12 (V36), Skyline 13 (V37);
- Mitsubishi Dignity 2 (Y51).
|Start of production||2006|
|Power output, hp||300 – 315|
|Torque output, Nm||340 – 365|
|Cylinder block||aluminum V6|
|Block head||aluminum 24v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||95.5|
|Piston stroke, mm||81.4|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.9|
|Euro standards||EURO 4/5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Nissan 350Z 2007)
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
Disadvantages of the VQ35HR engine
- The most famous problem of this engine is seizures in the cylinders and oil burner. The main reason for their appearance, many consider the crumbs of collapsing catalysts, which are drawn into the combustion chambers. Oil consumption on such units is a frequent phenomenon.
- Another weak point of this motor is the cardboard oil channel gaskets, which are located under the front cover of the engine. They can be squeezed out even up to 100 thousand km, which usually leads to a rapid loss of lubrication and the risk of jamming the power unit.
- Also, during very aggressive operation, air filters can be crushed here and camshaft covers can coke, then the engine will start to stall at low speeds. Since there are no hydraulic lifters, valve clearances will have to be periodically adjusted.