The 4.5-liter V8 Nissan VK45DE engine (or VK45 for short) was assembled at the Yokohama plant from 2001 to 2010 and installed on the most expensive and powerful models of the Japanese concern such as Fuga and President.
In 2001, the concern finally introduced a replacement for the 4.5-liter engine with the VH45DE index. This is a similar V8 with a 90° camber angle, an aluminum block with cast iron sleeves, two DOHC heads without hydraulic lifters, a CVTCS variable valve timing system on the intake shafts, a timing chain drive, multiport fuel injection, and a variable geometry intake manifold. .
The 4.5-liter V8 Nissan VK45DD engine was produced at the Yokohama plant from 2001 to 2003 and was installed only on the fourth generation Cima model and only before the first restyling.
Together with the 4.5-liter VK45DE engine with multiport fuel injection, a similar VK45DD unit equipped with the NEO DI direct injection system was introduced. In all other respects, this is exactly the same V8 with a 90 ° camber angle, an aluminum block with cast-iron liners, two DOHC heads without hydraulic lifters, CVTCS type phasers on the intake camshafts and a timing chain drive.
The engine was installed on:
- Infiniti FX45 1 (S50) in 2002 – 2008;
- Infiniti Q45 3 (F50) in 2001 – 2006;
- Infiniti M45 2 (Y34) in 2002 – 2004;
- Infiniti M45 3 (Y50) in 2004 – 2010;
- Nissan Fuga 1 (Y50) in 2004 – 2009;
- Nissan President 4 (PGF50) in 2003 – 2010;
- Nissan Cima 4 (F50) in 2001 – 2003.
|Cylinder block alloy||aluminum|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Piston stroke, mm||82.7|
|Cylinder bore, mm||93|
|Compression ratio||10.5 (VK45DE)
|Power output, hp||280/6000
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||451/3600
|Euro standards||EURO 3/4|
|Weight, kg||230 (VK45DE)
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (VK45DE for Infiniti FX45 2005)
|Oil consumption, gr/1000 km||up to 1000|
|Recommended engine oil||0W-30 / 5W-30 / 5W-40 / 10W-30 / 10W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.4|
|Oil change interval, km||10000|
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
Disadvantages of the VK45DE engine
- Like all units in this series, there is a problem with the formation of scoring due to the suction of crumbs of collapsing catalysts straight into the combustion chambers. Oil consumption follows, and if you miss its level, the liners will turn.
- The resource of the timing chains in this engine is quite dependent on the mode of operation, and for overly active owners they often stretch on a run of up to 150,000 km.
- It is recommended to monitor the cooling system of the power unit very carefully and not only for the cleanliness of the radiator, but also for the condition of the unreliable viscous fan coupling. This engine does not tolerate overheating: it immediately pierces the gasket or leads the cylinder head.
- Many modifications of this engine are equipped with an intake manifold with flaps, the bolts of which tend to unscrew and fly straight into the combustion chambers. It is highly desirable to disassemble the manifold and put the ill-fated bolts on the sealant.
- You can also find quite a few complaints on the network about difficult starting in the winter, lambda probes that often burn out from low-quality fuel and an unreliable gas pump in the tank. Do not forget about adjusting the thermal clearance of the valves, there are no hydraulic compensators here.
Disadvantages of the VK45DD engine
- This power unit is equipped with the capricious NEO DI direct fuel injection system, which does not tolerate low-quality gasoline: nozzles fail and high-pressure fuel pump shavings drive.
- Very often, owners of cars with such an engine are faced with seizures in the cylinders due to the ingress of wear products of the injection pump pusher, as well as catalyst crumbs.
- For cautious owners of the timing chain, they serve up to 250 thousand kilometers without any problems, however, with active driving with sharp starts, the life of the chains drops by about half.
- It is highly recommended to carefully monitor the cleanliness of the radiators of the cooling system, since overheating in this engine immediately breaks the gasket or even leads the cylinder head.
- Also, lambda probes burn quickly from bad fuel and the fuel pump filter clogs, and on specialized forums they often complain about difficult starts in the winter. And do not forget to adjust the thermal clearances of the valves, there are no hydraulic compensators here.