The 5.0-liter V8 Nissan VK50VE engine (or VK50 for short) was produced at the Japanese plant from 2008 to 2014 and was installed only on the Infiniti FX50 crossover and its updated version with the QX70 index. There were two versions of the engine: stock with 390 hp and 500 Nm and Vettel Edition with 420 hp and 520 Nm.
VK50VE was created specifically for the Infiniti FX50S crossover. This is a classic V8 engine with distributed injection, an aluminum cylinder block, a pair of DOHC block heads without hydraulic compensators, CVTCS phase shifters on all shafts, a timing chain drive and a proprietary VVEL valve lift system. Of the features here are a two-throttle intake, oil nozzles, a lightweight connecting rod and piston group and a crankshaft.
The engine was installed on:
- Infiniti FX50 2 (S51) in 2008 – 2013;
- Infiniti QX70 1 (S51) in 2013 – 2014.
|Power output, hp
|390 – 420
|Torque output, Nm
|500 – 520
|Cylinder bore, mm
|Piston stroke, mm
|CVTCS on all shafts
|Recommended engine oil
|Engine oil capacity, liter
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Infiniti QX70 2014)
|Engine lifespan, km
Disadvantages of the VK50VE engine
- The most famous problem of such a motor is overheating with a breakdown of the cylinder head gaskets and the ingress of coolant straight into the oil system of the power unit. It is imperative that the cleanliness of the cooling radiators be taken with the utmost care.
- For active owners, most of whom are driving Infiniti sports models, on a run of about 100 – 120 thousand km, they often stretch out and require replacement of the timing chain. The manufacturer has upgraded the chains several times and the latest versions last longer.
- Due to the presence of oil injectors, the problem with scuffing in this unit is not so acute, but several cases of oil burn after their appearance have been described on specialized forums. The main danger is that when the lubricant level drops, it can turn the liners.
- Also, the owners complain about unstable idling due to throttle contamination, short-lived lambda probes and a gasoline pump, as well as frequent leaks from under the valve covers. And do not forget to adjust the thermal clearances of the valves, there are no hydraulic compensators here.