The 2.5-liter Volkswagen BAC 2.5 TDI diesel engine was produced from 2003 to 2006 and was installed on the first generation of the Touareg GP SUV before restyling. This diesel engine has become infamous due to the shedding of the coating of the cylinder walls.
|Power output, hp||174|
|Torque output, Nm||400|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R5|
|Block head||aluminum 10v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||81|
|Piston stroke, mm||95.5|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||8.9|
|Euro standards||EURO 3/4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for VW Touareg 2005)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Volkswagen Touareg 1 (7L) in 2003 – 2006.
Disadvantages of the VW BAC engine
- The aluminum block here is without liners, and the coating of the cylinder walls is prone to shedding;
- The unit-injectors and the tandem pump by 150,000 km already often leak through the seals;
- Closer to 200,000 km of run, wear of rockers, camshaft cams is common;
- The intake manifold is also not very reliable, it simply cracks;
- Also, oil can be mixed with antifreeze due to a leak in the pump and heat exchanger.