The 5.0-liter Volkswagen AJS or Phaeton V10 5.0 TDI engine was assembled from 2002 to 2006 and was installed only on the Phaeton executive class sedan until its first restyling. There were versions of this motor for the Touareg SUV with the index AYH, BKW, BLE, BWF.
|Power output, hp||313|
|Torque output, Nm||750|
|Cylinder block||aluminum V10|
|Block head||aluminum 20v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||81|
|Piston stroke, mm||95.5|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||10.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for VW Phaeton 2003)
|Engine lifespan, km||~260 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Volkswagen Phaeton 1 (3D) in 2002 – 2006.
Disadvantages of the VW AJS engine
- First of all, this diesel engine is known for the rather modest resource of its turbines.
- Also, the timing gear mechanism is not very reliable.
- Often there are leaks on the seals of the tandem pump or unit-injectors.
- On a long run, shedding of the coating of the cylinder walls is often found.
- Another weak point of this unit is the air conditioner clutch and generator.