The Z16SE engine is an 84-horsepower 1.6-liter engine, which appeared with the release of the Opel Astra G, and is paired with an automatic and a manual transmission. Compared to its predecessor, the Z16SE has a completely different intake manifold, a changed cylinder head, a new valve cover gasket, completely different pistons and a completely changed cylinder-piston group.
The environmental standards of the engine have been brought up to Euro-4 indicators. The 8-valve engine was produced until 2004, after which it was replaced with a 16-valve analogue. Decoding of marking Z16SE:
- Z – Euro 4 engine;
- 16 – 1.4 liters;
- S – Compression ratio 9.5-10.0: 1;
- E – multiport fuel injection system.
|Manufacturer||Szentgotthard engine plant|
|Cylinder block alloy||cast iron|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Number of valves||8|
|Piston stroke, mm||81.5|
|Cylinder bore, mm||79|
|Power output, hp||84/5400
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||138/2600
|Euro standards||Euro 4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Opel Astra G)
|Oil consumption, gr/1000 km||up to 600|
|Recommended engine oil||0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, 5W-40, 5W-50, 10W-40, 15W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.25|
|Oil change interval, km||15000|
- the main problem of this engine is in the oil-maker and de-carbonization does not help it for a long time;
- this issue can be fundamentally resolved only with the help of a full-fledged overhaul;
- the catalyst degrades very quickly, and its dust is sometimes sucked into the cylinders;
- the timing belt runs quietly up to 100 – 120 thousand km and when it breaks, the valve does not bend.