The 2.5-liter Volkswagen AXG 2.5 TDI diesel engine was produced from 1998 to 2003 and was installed on minibuses such as the Transporter, Caravelle and Multivan in the back of the T4. The most powerful diesel engine in this family was distinguished by a variable geometry turbine.
|Fuel system||direct injection|
|Power output, hp||151|
|Torque output, Nm||295|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R5|
|Block head||aluminum 10v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||81|
|Piston stroke, mm||95.5|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 2/3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for VW Multivan 2000)
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Volkswagen Transporter T4 (7D) in 1998 – 2003.
Disadvantages of the VW AXG engine
- Most often, owners on the forums complain about problems with high pressure fuel pumps or injectors;
- In second place in frequency is the ever-knocking vacuum pump and failures of the mass air flow sensor;
- Watch the cooling system, as the aluminum cylinder head is afraid of overheating;
- Every 100 thousand km, all belts and rollers need to be replaced;
- After 200,000 km, the variable geometry turbine often starts to drive oil.