The 1.6-liter 16-valve Volkswagen 1.6 CFNA engine was produced from 2010 to 2016 and is primarily known for such popular models as the Polo Sedan and Rapid. This power unit was marked by a massive recall campaign to replace the piston group.
The EA111-1.6 series includes: ABU, AEE, AUS, AZD, BCB, BTS, CFNA, CFNB.
This power unit is essentially an updated version of the famous BTS engine, which in turn is based on the old 16-valve engines of the EA111 family, that is, it traces its history back to the 90s of the last century. And the block configuration is the same.
The cylinder block here is aluminum with cast-iron liners, as is the DOHC cylinder head for 16 valves with hydraulic compensators, the timing drive is chain, and this motor is controlled by the Magneti Marelli 7GV ECU. A simplification in comparison with its predecessor is the absence of an intake phase regulator.
|Power output, hp||105|
|Torque output, Nm||153|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||76.5|
|Piston stroke, mm||86.9|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.6|
|Euro standards||EURO 4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for VW Polo Sedan 2012)
|Engine lifespan, km||~250 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Volkswagen Jetta 6 (1B) in 2010 – 2016;
- Volkswagen Polo Sedan 1 (6C) in 2010 – 2015;
- Skoda Fabia 2 (5J) in 2010 – 2014;
- Skoda Rapid 1 (NH) in 2012 – 2015;
- Skoda Roomster 1 (5J) in 2010 – 2014.
Disadvantages of the VW CFNA engine
- The most famous problem of these power units is the knock of pistons on the cylinder walls. The manufacturer extended the warranty to five years and replaced the pistons free of charge. However, this did not help for a very long time and sooner or later the motor began to knock again. To increase the engine life, it is advised to install a less clamped exhaust manifold, or to replace the original pistons with forged ones from an alternative manufacturer.
- The timing chain runs in different ways, but most change it in the range of 100 – 150 thousand km, it all depends on the operating mode and the frequency of oil changes.
- The original exhaust is not famous for reliability, but many have changed it under warranty.
- The left engine mount, throttle valve and air filter housing have a low resource here. Also often there are questions about the ignition system.