The Mercedes M111 E23 engine appeared in 1995 and replaced the 2.3-liter M102 E23, which by this time was completely outdated. The new M111 E23 has acquired a compact cast-iron cylinder block, as on the M111 E20, but with a cylinder diameter increased by 1 mm and a different crankshaft, with a piston stroke increased to 88.4 mm, relative to the E20.
R6 Mercedes engines: M102, M111 E18, M111 E20, M111 E22, M111 E23, M166, M254, M260, M264, M266, M270, M271, M274, M282.
The cylinder head is the same as on the two-liter power unit, with two camshafts and 16 valves, hydraulic lifters and electronic fuel injection. In parallel with the aspirated, a compressor version was also produced, which used an Eaton M62 supercharger. The timing drive used a chain with a resource of about 250 thousand km. Bosch ME 2.1 engine management system.
The engine is still produced and installed on SsangYong under the symbol G23D.
|Production years||since 1995|
|Power output, hp||143 – 150 (M 111 E 23)
193 (M 111 E 23 ML)
|Torque output, Nm||210 – 220 (M 111 E 23)
280 (M 111 E 23 ML)
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||90.9|
|Piston stroke, mm||88.4|
|Compression ratio||10.4 (M 111 E 23)
8.8 (M 111 E 23 ML)
|Phase regulator||at the intake|
|Turbocharging||no (M 111 E 23)
kompressor (M 111 E 23 ML)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 2/3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for C230 Kompressor W202)
|Engine lifespan, km||~450 000|
Disadvantages of the M111 E23 engine
- Most of all, grease leaks will cause you problems, and their number grows with mileage.
- The mass air flow sensor has a modest resource; if it breaks, fuel consumption increases.
- Up to 100,000 kilometers, the water pump almost always starts to leak in the engine.
- From 100 to 200 thousand km, piston skirts often wear out or the exhaust cracks.
- After 200 – 250 thousand km, the oil pump or timing chain drive already requires attention.