The 2.0-liter Mercedes OM654 diesel engine has been assembled by the concern only since 2016 and is distinguished by an aluminum cylinder block with Nanoslide cast iron plasma spraying. There is a version of the transverse arrangement OM654q and an updated modification of OM654M, as well as a modification with a volume of 1.6 liters.
The diesel R4-family includes: OM616, OM601, OM604, OM611, OM640, OM646, OM651, OM654, OM668.
|Production years||since 2016|
|Displacement, cc||1597 (DE 16 G SCR)
1950 (DE 20 G SCR)
1950 (q DE 20 SCR)
1993 (M DE 20 G SCR)
|Fuel system||Common Rail|
|Power output, hp||122, 160 (DE 16 G SCR)
150, 194, 245 (DE 20 G SCR)
116 – 190 (q DE 20 SCR)
163 – 265 (M DE 20 G SCR)
|Torque output, Nm||300, 360 (DE 16 G SCR)
360, 400, 500 (DE 20 G SCR)
280 – 400 (q DE 20 SCR)
380 – 550 (M DE 20 G SCR)
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||78 (DE 16 G SCR)
82 (DE 20 G SCR)
82 (q DE 20 SCR)
82 (M DE 20 G SCR)
|Piston stroke, mm||83.6 (DE 16 G SCR)
92.3 (DE 20 G SCR)
92.3 (q DE 20 SCR)
94 (M DE 20 G SCR)
|Turbocharging||Garrett GTD1449VZ (DE 16 G SCR)
Garrett GTD1449VZ / BorgWarner R2S for 245 hp version (DE 20 G SCR)
Garrett GTD1449VZ (q DE 20 SCR)
BorgWarner R2S (M DE 20 G SCR)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 6|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for MB E 220 d 2017)
|Engine lifespan, km||~240 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Mercedes A-Class W177 since 2018;
- Mercedes B-Class W247 since 2018;
- Mercedes C-Class W205 in 2018 – 2021; C-Class W206 since 2021;
- Mercedes CLA-Class C118 since 2019;
- Mercedes CLS-Class C257 since 2018;
- Mercedes GLA-Class H247 since 2020;
- Mercedes GLB-Class X247 since 2019;
- Mercedes GLC-Class X253 since 2019;
- Mercedes GLE-Class V167 since 2018;
- Mercedes E-Class W213 since 2016;
- Mercedes V-Class W447 since 2019.
Disadvantages of the OM654 engine
- A well-known weak point of this diesel unit is the small resource of rockers.
- If you miss this problem, you will have to change the camshaft and hydraulic lifters.
- The Bosch CP4 fuel system with piezo injectors does not tolerate bad fuel at all.
- Even from bad diesel fuel, intake channels in the cylinder head and valves are quickly overgrown with soot.
- As always, environmental bells and whistles bring a lot of trouble: EGR, SCR and particulate filter.