The 1.4-liter 16-valve Hyundai G4LC engine was introduced by the company in 2014 and is known in many markets for such popular models as the Rio 4 and Solaris 2. In Europe, this power unit was found on the i20, i30, Ceed, Stonic and the fifth generation Accent.
In 2014, the 1.4-liter engine of the Kappa family debuted on the second generation of the i20 model. This is a typical engine for its time, equipped with multiport fuel injection with an aluminum block, cast iron liners, a 16-valve head with hydraulic lifters, a timing chain and Dual CVVT phasers on the intake and exhaust camshafts. There is also a plastic intake manifold with a VIS geometry change system.
The manufacturer took into account the problematic experience of operating the 1.4-liter G4FA engine of the Gamma series and equipped the G4LC engine with piston cooling oil nozzles, and also modified the exhaust manifold so that catalyst crumbs could not enter the cylinders.
The engine was installed on:
- Hyundai Accent 5 (YC) since 2017;
- Hyundai i20 2 (GB) in 2014 – 2018;
- Hyundai i30 2 (GD) in 2015 – 2017; i30 3 (PD) since 2017;
- Hyundai Solaris 2 (HC) since 2017;
- Kia Ceed 2 (JD) in 2015 – 2018; Ceed 3 (CD) since 2018;
- Kia Rio 4 (FB) since 2017; Rio 4 (YB) since 2017;
- Kia Rio X-Line 1 (FB) since 2017;
- Kia Rio X 1 (FB) since 2020;
- Kia Stonic 1 (YB) in 2017 – 2019.
|Production years||since 2014|
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||100|
|Torque output, Nm||133|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||72|
|Piston stroke, mm||84|
|Phase regulator||Dual CVVT|
|Recommended engine oil||0W-30, 5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.7|
|Euro standards||EURO 5/6|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Hyundai Solaris 2018)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
|Weight, kg||85.9 (without attachments)|
Disadvantages of the Hyundai G4LC engine
- The only widely known problem with this power unit is the oil burner. The manufacturer has lightened the design of the motor by 14 kg compared to the G4FA engine, and by 150,000 km lubricant consumption often appears due to wear of the connecting rod and piston group.
- A simple leaf chain is installed here, but due to the low power of the motor, it has a decent resource. However, for active drivers, the chain stretches quickly.
- On specialized forums, they complain about the vibration load of this unit, the noisy operation of the nozzles, the modest resource of the water pump, and periodic leaks of oil and coolant.