The 2.2-liter Hyundai-Kia D4HE or Smartstream D 2.2 CRDi engine has been produced since 2020 and is installed on the popular Sorento, Santa Fe crossovers, as well as the Carnival minivan. This is a new generation of concern diesel units with an aluminum block and a timing belt.
The engine was installed on:
- Hyundai Santa Fe 4 (TM) since 2020;
- Kia Carnival 4 (KA4) since 2020;
- Kia Sorento 4 (MQ4) since 2020.
|Production years||since 2020|
|Fuel system||Common Rail|
|Power output, hp||202|
|Torque output, Nm||441|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||83|
|Piston stroke, mm||99.4|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.6|
|Euro standards||EURO 5/6|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Kia Sorento 2021)
|Engine lifespan, km||~350 000|
Disadvantages of the Hyundai D4HE engine
- This diesel engine appeared quite recently and there is no information about its breakdowns;
- Capricious piezo injectors here have given way to more reliable electromagnetic;
- Instead of timing chains, a belt is now used, let’s see what resource it will have;
- It is not known how the new aluminum block will show itself during long-term operation;
- Naturally, there is a particulate filter and an EGR valve, which will give us problems.