The 2.2-liter diesel engine Hyundai D4HB or 2.2 CRDi has been assembled in Korea since 2009 and installed on many popular models of the concern such as Sorento, Santa Fe or Carnival.
At the very end of 2008, Hyundai-Kia introduced a new generation of R-series diesel engines, which was designed by Hyundai’s European research and development center in Rüsselheim. The 2.2-liter engine had a cast-iron block, an aluminum 16-valve cylinder head with hydraulic lifters, a Bosch CP4 Common Rail fuel system with 1800 bar piezo injectors, and a timing chain drive. Supercharging here was carried out using a variable geometry turbine Garrett GTB1752VLK.
In addition to the usual modification with a capacity of 190-200 hp, there was a derated version that developed 150 hp / 412 Nm. This diesel engine was quite common on Karnival minivans.
The engine was installed on:
- Hyundai Grandeur 5 (HG) in 2011 – 2016; Grandeur 6 (IG) in 2016 – 2018;
- Hyundai Grand Santa Fe 1 (NC) in 2013 – 2019;
- Hyundai Palisade 1 (LX2) since 2019;
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2 (CM) in 2009 – 2012; Santa Fe 3 (DM) in 2012 – 2018; Santa Fe 4 (TM) in 2018 – 2020;
- Kia Carnival 2 (VQ) in 2010 – 2014; Carnival 3 (YP) in 2014 – 2021;
- Kia Sorento 2 (XM) in 2009 – 2014; Sorento 3 (UM) in 2014 – 2020.
|Production years||since 2009|
|Fuel system||Common Rail|
|Power output, hp||150 – 200|
|Torque output, Nm||412 – 441|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||85.4|
|Piston stroke, mm||96|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||7.4 / 7.8|
|Euro standards||EURO 5/6|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Hyundai Santa Fe 2014)
|Engine lifespan, km||~450 000|
Disadvantages of the Hyundai D4HB engine
- This diesel engine is equipped with a Bosch CP4 Common Rail fuel system with piezo injectors, which does not tolerate bad diesel fuel and the injection pump fails very quickly from it. Then the pump starts to drive chips, and it spreads through the system and clogs the nozzles.
- The timing chain drive here is quite reliable and runs quietly up to 200 thousand kilometers, only a few owners of the engines of the first years encountered a hydraulic tensioner wedge. Noise from the timing chains usually means that the crankshaft damper pulley is worn.
- Naturally, there are all the typical problems of modern diesel engines with an EGR valve, it clogs up to 100,000 km and with a particulate filter, its resource is about twice as long. Still very often the glow plug relay fails or their wiring breaks.
- In specialized forums, they often complain about the wedge of the turbine geometry change rod and the failure of the boost pressure sensor, but the turbocharger itself serves here for a long time. Also, on the units of the first years of production, there were cases of a sudden breakdown of the cylinder head gasket.