The 3.5-liter V6 Hyundai Kia G6CU engine was produced in South Korea from 1999 to 2007 and was installed on such popular concern models as the Terracan, Santa Fe and Kia Sorento. Such a power unit is inherently only a clone of the well-known Mitsubishi 6G74 engine.
The Sigma family: 2.5 L – G6AV; 3.0 L – G6AT, G6CT; 3.5 L – G6AU, G6CU.
In 1999, the G6AU unit was updated to EURO 3 environmental standards and received a new G6CU index, but in essence it remained a clone of the popular Mitsubishi 6G74 gasoline engine. By design, this is a simple V-twin engine with a cast-iron block with a 60° camber angle and two 24-valve aluminum DOHC heads equipped with hydraulic compensators. Also, this power unit had a distributed fuel injection and a timing belt drive.
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||195 – 220|
|Torque output, Nm||290 – 315|
|Cylinder block||cast iron V6|
|Block head||aluminum 24v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||93|
|Piston stroke, mm||85.8|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Kia Sorento 2004)
|Engine lifespan, km||~350 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Hyundai Equus 1 (LZ) in 1999 – 2003;
- Hyundai Grandeur 3 (XG) in 2002 – 2005;
- Hyundai Santa Fe 1 (SM) in 2003 – 2006;
- Hyundai Terracan 1 (HP) in 2001 – 2007;
- Kia Carnival 1 (GQ) in 2001 – 2005;
- Kia Opirus 1 (GH) in 2003 – 2006;
- Kia Sorento 1 (BL) in 2002 – 2006.
Disadvantages of the Hyundai G6CU engine
- A known weak point of this engine is the intake manifold swirl flaps. They loosen up quite quickly here and then air leaks appear in the intake, then they completely unwind and their bolts fall into the cylinders, causing destruction there.
- This power unit is very demanding on the level of lubrication and the condition of the oil pump, and since the oil burner is not uncommon here, the rotation of the crankshaft liners is a frequent phenomenon. For long runs, it is advisable to use a thick oil and renew it regularly.
- The crankshaft pulley is distinguished by a low resource here, sensors often fail, hydraulic lifters serve little, they often begin to knock at a run of 100,000 km. The engine speed constantly floats due to contamination of the throttle, idle speed controller or fuel injectors.
1 thought on “Engine Hyundai-Kia G6CU”
Poor oil change causes wear of the oil pump, low pressure oil especially in the camshaft bearing causes damage to the heads.
In Kia Sorento model due to front axle placing, engine have small oil pan. Only 4,5L capacity. Service manual say that in hard condition city, offroad or towing oil change interval should be 7500km!
I love LPG gas and always looking engines with hydraulic lifters. Great site, thanks a lot!