The 1.4-liter Hyundai G4FA engine has been produced at the company’s Chinese plant since 2006 and is primarily known as the base power unit of such models as Ceed, i20, i30 and Accent.
In 2006, a 1.4-liter unit debuted on the new Ceed model for the European market. By design, this is a typical motor with an aluminum block, an open cooling jacket, an aluminum 16-valve cylinder head without hydraulic lifters and a timing chain with a hydraulic tensioner. Fuel injection is distributed here, and there is a phase regulator on the intake camshaft. This unit is equipped with a plastic intake manifold without a geometry change system.
During production, the engine has been modernized more than once, and the main update is the replacement of a huge “ram’s horn” exhaust manifold with a regular small catalytic converter. It was after this that the unit began to lift up due to the ingress of catalyst crumbs into the cylinders.
|Production years||since 2006|
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||99 – 109|
|Torque output, Nm||135 – 137|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||77|
|Piston stroke, mm||75|
|Recommended engine oil||0W-30, 5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.7|
|Euro standards||EURO 4/5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Hyundai Solaris 2012)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Hyundai Accent 4 (RB) in 2010 – 2018;
- Hyundai i20 1 (PB) in 2008 – 2014;
- Hyundai ix20 1 (JC) in 2010 – 2019;
- Hyundai i30 1 (FD) in 2007 – 2012; i30 2 (GD) in 2011 – 2015;
- Hyundai Solaris 1 (RB) in 2010 – 2017;
- Kia Ceed 1 (ED) in 2006 – 2013; Ceed 2 (JD) in 2012 – 2015;
- Kia ProCeed 1 (ED) in 2007 – 2010;
- Kia Rio 3 (QB) in 2011 – 2017; Rio 3 (UB) in 2011 – 2017;
- Kia Venga 1 (YN) in 2009 – 2019.
Disadvantages of the Hyundai G4FA engine
- In the early years, the engine was equipped with a large ram’s horn exhaust manifold, but since about 2010 it has been replaced with a very modest catalytic converter. Now, when the catalyst is destroyed, the crumbs fall into the cylinders and scratch the walls.
- This is an aluminum unit with an open cooling jacket and thin-walled sleeves, the rigidity of which is low. With very active use or frequent overheating, the cylinders can go in an ellipse and a progressive consumption of lubricant immediately appears.
- For sedate drivers, the timing chain runs perfectly, usually it changes after 200,000 km. However, if the engine is constantly turned to high speeds, then the resource drops by half. Also, from dirty oil, it often fails here and the hydraulic tensioner jams.
- About smaller problems: due to a weak tensioner, the alternator belt often whistles, engine mounts do not last long, grease leaks from under the valve cover and floating engine speeds due to a contaminated throttle assembly or fuel injectors are regularly encountered.