The 1.6-liter Ford L1E or Escort 1.6 Zetec 16v engine was produced from 1992 to 1995 and was installed on the 5th generation of the once popular Escort model in all its bodies. Almost the same power unit was installed on the Mondeo 1, however, under its own L1F index.
The engine was installed on:
- Ford Escort Mk5 in 1992 – 1995.
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||90|
|Torque output, Nm||134|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||76|
|Piston stroke, mm||88|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.2|
|Euro standards||EURO 2/3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Ford Escort 1994)
|Engine lifespan, km||~320 000|
Disadvantages of the Ford L1E engine
- The most problematic for owners is the ever-clogged filter in the gas tank;
- If you ignore traction failures and drive like this, the fuel pump will fail;
- According to the regulations, the timing belt serves 120 thousand km, but it is better to change it twice as often;
- The search for the source of the leak should begin with the front and rear crankshaft oil seal;
- The use of low-quality lubricant quickly affects the hydraulic lifters.