The 2.0-liter SsangYong D20DT diesel engine was produced in Korea from 2005 to 2012 and was installed on many of the concern’s popular SUVs, such as Kyron, Actyon and Actyon Sports. There are two different modifications of such a power unit: for Euro 3 and Euro 4 environmental standards.
Ssangyong diesel engines: D16DTF, D20DT, D20DTF, D20DTR, D22DTF, D22DTR, D23DT, D27DT, D27DTP, D29DT.
At the end of 2005, a new 2.0-liter diesel engine debuted on the Kyron SUV. The design of this unit was quite classic: an in-line 4-cylinder cast-iron block, a Delphi Common Rail fuel system, a timing chain drive using a double-row chain, an aluminum 16-valve cylinder head with hydraulic lifters and a Garrett GTB1549V turbocharger.
In 2008, this diesel engine was upgraded to Euro 4 and received other injectors. You can distinguish the new engine by the aluminum EGR cooler instead of the old cast iron one.
|Fuel system||Common Rail|
|Power output, hp||141|
|Torque output, Nm||310|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||86.2|
|Piston stroke, mm||85.6|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||7.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 3/4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for SsangYong Kyron 2009)
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
The engine was installed on:
- SsangYong Actyon 1 (CJ) in 2005 – 2010;
- SsangYong Actyon Sports 1 (QJ) in 2006 – 2012;
- SsangYong Kyron 1 (DJ) in 2005 – 2012.
Disadvantages of the SsangYong D20DT engine
- The Delphi Common Rail fuel system is quite demanding on fuel quality, and the use of low-quality diesel fuel quickly ends with the failure of injectors or injection pumps. The problem is aggravated by the fact that in many cases the injectors become so attached to the cylinder head that they often have to be drilled out, and this is fraught with the formation of cracks in the head.
- The timing drive here is carried out by a reliable two-row chain with a good resource, which cannot be said about its hydraulic tensioner. Sometimes it serves less than 50 thousand kilometers. Another weak point of the engine is a weak drive belt tensioner.
- The problematic components of the motor also include an unreliable turbine vacuum modulator, an EGR valve that quickly clogs with soot, a constantly leaking oil heat exchanger and hydraulic compensators: they are very sensitive to the quality of the oil and the schedule for changing it.