The 2.7-liter Nissan TD27 diesel engine has been produced by the concern since 1985 in Japan and is intended for commercial vehicles, but it is better known for the Caravan minibuses, as well as the first generation of the Terrano SUV or various D21 pickups.
The TD27T was assembled from 1985 to 2007 and was also installed on commercial vehicles, Caravan minibuses and the Terrano SUV. In total there are four versions of this power unit: TD27T1, TD27T2, TD27T3 and TD27T4.
The TD27Ti was produced from 1990 to 2007 in Japan and was installed on the popular Caravan minibus, as well as the Mistral or Terrano 2 SUV.
The engine was installed on:
- Nissan Caravan E24 in 1986 – 2001;
- Nissan Homy E24 in 1986 – 2001;
- Nissan Mistral R20 in 1996 – 2006 (TD27Ti);
- Nissan Navara 1 (D21) in 1985 – 1997;
- Nissan Terrano 1 (WD21) in 1986 – 1995;
- Nissan Terrano II (R20) in 1993 – 1997 (TD27T);
- Nissan Terrano II (R20) in 1996 – 2006 (TD27Ti).
|Start of production||1985|
|Fuel system||vortex chamber|
|Power output, hp||80 – 85 (TD27)
100 – 115 (TD27T)
|Torque output, Nm||175 – 185 (TD27)
215 – 245 (TD27T)
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||cast iron 8v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||96|
|Piston stroke, mm||92|
|Compression ratio||21.8 – 22.0|
Garrett TB25 (TD27T)
Garrett TB25 (TD27Ti)
|Recommended engine oil||10W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.9 (TD27)
|Euro standards||EURO 1/2/3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Nissan Terrano 1995)
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
|Weight, kg||235 (TD27)
Disadvantages of the TD27 engine
- The engine has a huge resource, but few people like noise and vibration;
- After 250,000 km, due to wear on the timing gears, the valve timing is off;
- Approximately at the same run, the pump or the gasket of the gear block begin to flow;
- The electrics of the motor are very reliable, only the oil pressure sensor periodically fails;
- Due to detonation from bad fuel, the jumpers between the vortex chambers crack.