The 3.1-liter 5-cylinder Jeep EXA diesel engine was produced from 1999 to 2001 and was installed only on the popular Grand Cherokee WJ SUV before restyling. Such a diesel engine was developed by the Italian company VM Motori and is also known as 531 OHV.
The engine was installed on:
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2 (WJ) in 1999 – 2001.
|Power output, hp||140|
|Torque output, Nm||385|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R5|
|Block head||aluminum 10v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||92|
|Piston stroke, mm||94|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||7.8|
|Euro standards||EURO 1|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Jeep Grand Cherokee 2000)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
Disadvantages of the EXA engine
- Firstly, this is a rather rare diesel engine, it was installed on the Grand Cherokee for three years and that’s it;
- Secondly, here each cylinder has a separate head and they often crack;
- And thirdly, these heads need to be stretched periodically or oil leaks will appear;
- The turbine is distinguished by a low resource, often it drives oil already to 100,000 km;
- Also, many owners complain about loud noise, vibration.