The BMW S52B32 engine was intended only for North America, as an alternative to the 3.2-liter S50B32. The S52B32US motor was produced from 1995 to 2000, and 37,790 units were produced. The replacement for this motor was the S54B32.
|Cylinder block alloy||cast iron|
|Number of cylinders||6|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Piston stroke, mm||89.6|
|Cylinder bore, mm||86.4|
|Power output, hp||240 /6000 rpm|
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||320 /3800 rpm|
|Max engine speed, rpm||6500|
|Euro standards||Euro 2|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for E36 M3)
|Oil consumption, gr/1000 km||up to 1000|
|Recommended engine oil||0W-30 / 0W-40 / 5W-30 / 5W-40 / 10W-40 / 15W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.5|
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C||~90|
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
— 5MT / — 5AT
ZF Type C
|Gear ratios, 5MT||1 — 4.20
2 — 2.49
3 — 1.66
4 — 1.24
5 — 1.00
|Gear ratios, 5AT||1 — 3.67
2 — 2.00
3 — 1.41
4 — 1.00
5 — 0.74
|Final drive ratio
Disadvantages of the S52B32 engine
- Overtemperature condition. The S52 often overheats, resulting in cylinder head deformation. The solution to the problem is cleaning the radiator, removing air from the system, checking the thermostat, pump and radiator cap.
- Excessive oil consumption. The reason is the wear of the piston rings. Solution – if the walls are intact, it is enough to replace the rings, and if the cylinders are also damaged, a sleeve is required. You also need to check the crankcase ventilation valve.
- Gaps in the ignition. The reason is coking of hydraulic compensators. As a result, the cylinder works worse and the ECU simply turns it off. Required repair – replacement of hydraulic lifters.
- A red oil lamp lit up. The reason is a malfunction of the oil cup or oil pump.
- Vanos S52. Signs of wear and tear – rattling, loss of strength, interruptions in speed with jamming. Requires purchase of Vanos Repair Kit.
Among other problems of the unit stand out: breakage of knee and camshaft sensors, poor cylinder head fastening, thermostat leakage, sensitivity to fuel quality and average resource.