Chrysler’s 2.8-liter ENR or 2.8 CRD diesel engine was produced from 2000 to 2007 and was installed in the popular Voyager minivan, as well as the Cherokee / Liberty KJ SUV. This diesel engine is developed by the Italian company VM Motori and is known under the R428 DOHC index.
|Fuel system||Common Rail|
|Power output, hp||150 – 163|
|Torque output, Nm||360 – 400|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||94|
|Piston stroke, mm||100|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Chrysler Voyager 2006)
|Engine lifespan, km||~320 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Chrysler Voyager 4 (RG) in 2000 – 2007;
- Jeep Cherokee 3 (KJ) in 2001 – 2007.
Disadvantages of the ENR engine
- The weak point of the fuel system of this diesel engine is the high pressure fuel pump regulator valve;
- Piezo injectors also have a low resource, and besides, they are very difficult to remove;
- The turbine here is not very reliable and may require repair even up to 100 thousand km;
- The timing belt runs about 150,000 km, and with its breakage it usually only breaks the rocker;
- Often there is air leakage through the fuel filter heater connector.