The 2.5-liter 4-cylinder Jeep ENC diesel engine was produced from 1991 to 2001 and was installed on Cherokee and Grand Cherokee SUVs, as well as Voyager and Caravan minivans. This diesel engine developed by the Italian company VM Motori is also known as 425 OHV.
The VM Motori series includes: ENC, ENJ, ENS, ENR, EXF, EXJ, EXN, EXA.
|Power output, hp||112 – 118|
|Torque output, Nm||260 – 280|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 8v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||92|
|Piston stroke, mm||94|
|Turbocharging||IHI VA59A – VA63A|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.8|
|Euro standards||EURO 1|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Jeep Grand Cherokee 1995)
|Engine lifespan, km||~250 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Chrysler Voyager 2 (ES) in 1991 – 1995;
- Chrysler Voyager 3 (GS) in 1995 – 2000;
- Dodge Caravan 2 (ES) in 1991 – 1995;
- Dodge Dakota 2 (DN) in 1998 – 2001;
- Jeep Cherokee 2 (XJ) in 1993 – 2001;
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 1 (ZJ) in 1993 – 1998.
Disadvantages of the ENC engine
- This diesel has separate cylinder heads and they often crack;
- In addition, they need to be stretched periodically or serious lubricant leaks will appear;
- The turbine is distinguished by low reliability, sometimes it drives oil even up to 100,000 km;
- The hoses leading to the turbine and intercooler are often frayed, but they are not cheap;
- Still on the forum they complain about noise and vibrations at work.