The 2.8-liter R4 diesel engine Jeep ENS or 2.8 CRD was produced from 2006 to 2018 and was installed on the Grand Voyager minivan or SUVs Cherokee, Liberty, Wrangler, Nitro. This diesel engine manufactured by the Italian company VM Motori is also known as the RA 428 DOHC.
The engine was installed on:
- Chrysler Grand Voyager 5 (RT) in 2007 – 2016;
- Dodge Nitro 1 (KA) in 2007 – 2011;
- Jeep Cherokee 4 (KK) in 2007 – 2012;
- Jeep Wrangler 3 (JK) in 2006 – 2018.
|Fuel system||Common Rail|
|Power output, hp||160 – 200|
|Torque output, Nm||360 – 460|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||94|
|Piston stroke, mm||100|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 4/5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Jeep Cherokee 2009)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
Disadvantages of the ENS engine
- In the fuel system of this diesel engine, the regulator valve of the high pressure fuel pump is most often worried;
- Piezo injectors are also more demanding on fuel and have a low resource;
- It cannot be called very reliable and the turbine often requires repair up to 100,000 km;
- The timing belt is designed for 150,000 km, but when it breaks, only the rocker breaks;
- The place of air leakage is often the connector of the fuel filter heater.