The 1.4-liter 8-valve Renault K7J engine was assembled at the concern’s factory from 1997 to 2016 and installed on many of the company’s budget models, such as Logan, Sandero and Symbol. First, the release of the motor was carried out in the Turkish Bursa, and then in the Romanian city of Pitesti.
The K-series include: K4J, K7J, K4M, K7M and K9K.
In 1997, the weakest 1.4-liter unit joined the K-series engine family. It was a simple engine with a cast-iron block, an 8-valve cylinder head without hydraulic lifters, a timing belt drive and a single coil for 4 cylinders. Fuel injection – distributed. In addition to the standard 75 hp modification, a 72 hp gas version was offered in a number of markets.
At first, this engine was produced at the company’s Turkish plant in Bursa, then it was also assembled at the Dacia subsidiary in the Romanian city of Pitesti.
The engine was installed on:
- Renault Clio 2 (X65) in 1998 – 2001;
- Renault Logan 1 (L90) in 2005 – 2016;
- Renault Kangoo 1 (KC) in 1997 – 2001;
- Renault Sandero 1 (B90) in 2009 – 2014;
- Renault Symbol 1 (L65) in 1999 – 2008;
- Dacia Logan 1 (L90) in 2004 – 2008;
- Dacia Logan 1 MCV (R90) in 2006 – 2008;
- Dacia Sandero 1 (B90) in 2008 – 2009.
|Power output, hp||75|
|Torque output, Nm||114|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 8v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||79.5|
|Piston stroke, mm||70|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.8|
|Euro standards||EURO 2/3/4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Renault Logan 2005)
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
Disadvantages of the Renault K7J engine
- Until 2012, the K-series 8-valve units were equipped with an unsuccessful ignition coil, which often cracked. Moisture got into the cracks and the engine immediately began to work unstably.
- The second most popular motor problem is floating idle. The reason is usually the contamination of the throttle assembly, fuel injectors, idle speed controller.
- Units of this series often suffer from lubrication leaks from the front crankshaft oil seal, valve cover and oil separator. Antifreeze usually oozes over the thermostat housing.
- The timing belt here runs much more than the scheduled 60,000 km, but often breaks due to a pump wedge or tension roller. As a result of a break, the valves almost always bend.
- The bearings and the crankshaft damper pulley have a not very high resource in this engine. Also here you should not forget about the periodic adjustment of the thermal clearances of the valves.