The 1.6-liter 8-valve Renault K7M engine was first introduced back in 1995. At first, the engine was produced in Spain, until in 2004 its assembly was transferred to Romania, where it became the main engine of the budget models Dacia Logan, Sandero, Stepway or Lodgy.
In 1995, the power unit of the new K-series debuted on the first generation of the Megane model: it was an engine with multiport fuel injection, a cast-iron block, an 8-valve cylinder head without hydraulic lifters, a timing belt drive, a single ignition coil for 4 cylinders. At first, all units of the series were assembled at a plant in Valladolid, Spain.
In 2004, after the removal of the first generation Megane and Scenic, the engine assembly was moved to Romania, where it became the main power unit for the budget Dacia brand. Soon, such a motor began to be actively supplied to Russia, where it was installed not only on Renault Logan or Sandero, but also on the Lada Largus station wagon.
|Production years||since 1995|
|Power output, hp||82 – 90
|Torque output, Nm||124 – 137
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 8v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||79.5|
|Piston stroke, mm||80.5|
|Compression ratio||9.5 – 9.7
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.6|
|Euro standards||EURO 3/4/5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Renault Logan 2011)
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Renault Clio 2 (X65) in 1998 – 2000;
- Renault Dokker 1 (K67) since 2012; Dokker 1 Stepway (K67S) since 2019;
- Renault Logan 1 (L90) in 2005 – 2014; Logan 2 (L52) since 2012; Logan 2 Stepway (L52S) since 2018;
- Renault Megane 1 (X64) in 1995 – 1999;
- Renault Scenic 1 (J64) in 1996 – 2003;
- Renault Sandero 1 (B90) in 2009 – 2014; Sandero 2 (B52) since 2012;
- Renault Sandero 1 Stepway (B90S) in 2009 – 2014; Sandero 2 Stepway (B52S) since 2014;
- Dacia Dokker 1 (K67) since 2012;
- Dacia Lodgy 1 (J92) since 2012;
- Dacia Logan 1 (L90) in 2004 – 2013; Logan 1 MCV (R90) in 2006 – 2013;
- Dacia Sandero 1 (B90) in 2008 – 2012; Sandero 1 Stepway (B90x) in 2009 – 2012;
- Lada Largus station wagon in 2012 – 2015;
- Lada Largus van in 2012 – 2015.
Disadvantages of the Renault K7M engine
- The most famous problem with this motor is the cracking of the ignition coil. Moisture gets into the cracks, which leads to motor tripping and similar problems. Around 2012, a new coil appeared, which is free from this drawback.
- The timing drive of this power unit is belt-driven with a replacement schedule every 60,000 km. Usually it breaks due to a pump wedge or a tensioner roller, and when it breaks, the valves bend here in almost 100% of cases.
- Quite often idle motor speeds float here and the reason for this is usually the contamination of the idle speed controller. Another culprit may be clogged nozzles or air leaks through cracks or cracked intake manifold seals.
- Motors of this series are prone to oil and antifreeze leaks, and there are several weak points: grease most often oozes through the front crankshaft oil seal or from the heat exchanger. The often cracked thermostat housing is responsible for coolant leaks here.
- The disadvantages of this motor also include the low resource of the crankshaft position sensor and the lack of hydraulic compensators, so you will have to adjust the valve clearances.