The 3.2-liter Mitsubishi 4M41 diesel engine has been produced by the concern since 1999 and is installed on popular Pajero SUVs, including the Sport version. At first, the motor was equipped with a distribution pump and only since 2006 with Common Rail.
4M41 is a turbocharged engine with an installed MHI air blower. Compared to its predecessor 4M40, the power has been increased to 165 hp, the torque is 351 Nm and the environmental performance has been improved.
Since 2006, the production of a modernized Common Rail engine began. The turbine changed to IHI variable geometry. The intake ports have been improved, a new intake manifold with swirl phases has been installed and the EGR system has been improved. This made it possible to increase the ecological class, raise the power to 175 hp and a torque of up to 382 Nm.
After another 4 years, the engine was again modified. Power increased to 200 hp, torque – to 441 Nm.
The engine was installed on:
- Mitsubishi Pajero 3 (V70) in 1999 – 2006;
- Mitsubishi Pajero 4 (V90) since 2006;
- Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2 (KH) in 2008 – 2016;
- Mitsubishi L200 4 (KB) in 2005 – 2014.
|Production years||since 1999|
|Fuel system||direct injection (4M41T Direct Injection)
Common Rail (4M41T Common Rail)
|Power output, hp||165/4000 rpm (4M41T DI)
175/3800 rpm (4M41T CR)
200/3800 rpm (4M41T CR 2010)
|Torque output, Nm||351/2000 rpm (4M41T DI)
382/2000 rpm (4M41T CR)
441/2000 rpm (4M41T CR 2010)
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||98.5|
|Piston stroke, mm||105|
|Compression ratio||17 (4M41T DI)
16 – 17 (4M41T CR)
|Turbocharging||MHI TF035HL (4M41T DI)
IHI RHV5S VGT (4M41T CR)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||9.3|
|Euro standards||EURO 3/4 (4M41T DI)
EURO 4/5 (4M41T CR)
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Mitsubishi Pajero 2015)
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
Disadvantages of the Mitsubishi 4M41 engine
- In the first versions of the engine without Common Rail, the high pressure fuel pump often failed and the pistons burned out;
- The updated modification has become much more reliable and practically does not bother;
- A crankshaft pulley with a rubber clutch can fall apart even at low mileage;
- The timing chain serves approximately 200 – 250 thousand km, and then it stretches and rings loudly;
- About once every 50,000 km you have to clean the EGR and tighten the alternator belt.