The 1.6-liter Ford PNDA or 1.6 Duratec Ti VCT 123ps engine was produced from 2010 to 2019 and was installed on the third generation of the popular Focus model and the C-MAX compact MPV. Ford PNDA is deprived of all problematic elements in the form of hydraulic compensators and turbocharging. This made it possible to achieve the simplest design, due to which almost all problematic components are absent in the power unit, which leads to a rare occurrence of problems and a significant reduction in the cost of maintenance or repair.
DURATEC Ti-VCT family:
1.5 L – UEJB;
1.6 L – IQDB, HXDA, PNBA, PNDA, SIDA, XTDA.
The engine was installed on:
- Ford C-Max Mk2 in 2010 – 2014;
- Ford Focus Mk3 in 2010 – 2019.
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||125|
|Torque output, Nm||159|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||79|
|Piston stroke, mm||81.4|
|Phase regulator||Ti VCT|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.1|
|Euro standards||EURO 5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Ford Focus 2012)
|Engine lifespan, km||~350 000|
Disadvantages of the PNDA engine
- This is a modern engine with an aluminum block and an open cooling jacket, and by 100,000 km the cylinders often go elliptical, and then a piston knock appears. There is usually no oil consumption, so many do not pay attention to this.
- On the motors of this series of the first years of production, phase regulators often knocked to 100,000 km, however, since 2007, upgraded clutches have been installed that last much longer. Now the main problems are delivered by regularly flowing solenoid valves.
- The weak points of this power unit also include a not very reliable gas pump, constantly breaking high-voltage wires and current crankshaft oil seals. And do not forget about the periodic adjustment of the valve clearance, there are no hydraulic lifters.