The 2.4-liter Volvo B5244S4 gasoline engine was produced in Skövde from 2004 to 2010 and was installed on such popular models of the Swedish concern as C30, C70, S40 or V50. There was a slightly less powerful version of this power unit with its index B5244S5.
The 5-cylinder 2.3-2.4-liter Modular engine family includes: B5234T, B5244S, B5244S2, B5244S4, B5244T, B5244T3.
The engine was installed on:
- Volvo C30 I (533) in 2006 – 2010;
- Volvo C70 II (542) in 2005 – 2009;
- Volvo S40 II (544) in 2004 – 2009;
- Volvo V50 I (545) in 2004 – 2009.
|Power output, hp||170|
|Torque output, Nm||230|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R5|
|Block head||aluminum 20v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||83|
|Piston stroke, mm||90|
|Phase regulator||at the intake|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.8|
|Euro standards||EURO 3/4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Volvo S40 2005)
|Engine lifespan, km||~370 000|
Disadvantages of the B5244S4 engine
- The main thing here is to monitor the condition of the timing belt, since when it breaks, the valves bend.
- Another well-known engine problem is oil leakage from the phase regulator.
- Often the crankcase ventilation system is clogged here and lubricant consumption appears.
- The weak points of this engine also include its supports, thermostat, pump and fuel pump.