The D12D420 is a 420 hp, 12-liter, in-line 6-cylinder, turbocharged, intercooled diesel engine. This engine meets the Euro 3 emission requirements. Volvo manufactures D12D engines at a new plant, where the maximum automation of the production process is implemented.
The D12D represents a new generation of Volvo’s proven, robust and durable D12 engines. The D12D features a new fuel delivery design and Volvo’s EMS engine management system for optimal combustion and low emissions. The D12D420 has a fully overlapping cylinder head, 4 valves per cylinder, overhead camshaft and electronically controlled unit injectors. The cylinder liners are wet and replaceable. The advanced cooling system for the cylinder liners and the head of the block significantly improves heat dissipation.
(PDF, 1 mb)
|Power output, kW at rpm||309 at 1700|
|Power output hp at rpm||420 at 1700|
|Number of cylinders||6|
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||2000 at 1050|
|Cylinder bore, mm||131|
|Piston stroke, mm||150|
|Fuel system||direct injection|
|Turbine||turbo / charge air cooler|
|Euro standards||Euro 2-3|
|Timing mechanism||spur gear|
The D12D420 has the following features:
- Electronic engine control & ndash; EMS & ndash; with precise fuel injection ensures an efficient combustion process and low exhaust emissions.
- Center-vertically positioned unit injectors ensure symmetrical fuel distribution.
- Electronic oil level sensor with signal output to the graphic display of driver information.
- VEB engine brake-retarder with shut-off exhaust line with high braking power and improved handling.
- Power take-off from the engine in several power versions for direct drive of the hydraulic pump (optional).