The 2.4-liter Volvo B5244S gasoline engine was produced by the company from 1996 to 2009 and was installed on the most popular models of its time, such as the S60, S70, S80 and V70. A modification of this motor was installed from 1996 to 1998 on the Renault Safrane under the symbol N7U.
The engine was installed on:
- Volvo S60 I (384) in 2000 – 2009;
- Volvo S70 I (874) in 1999 – 2000;
- Volvo S80 I (184) in 1998 – 2006;
- Volvo V70 I (875) in 1999 – 2000; V70 II (285) in 2000 – 2007;
- Volvo XC70 II (295) in 2000 – 2007.
|Power output, hp||140 – 170|
|Torque output, Nm||220 – 230|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R5|
|Block head||aluminum 20v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||83|
|Piston stroke, mm||90|
|Phase regulator||at the intake, since 1999|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 2/3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Volvo S60 2001)
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
Disadvantages of the B5244S engine
- Most complaints were about the version with a buggy electric choke Magneti Marelli.
- Another well-known engine problem is oil leakage from the phase regulator.
- The timing belt is designed for 120,000 km, but it can burst earlier and the valves will bend.
- Often the crankcase ventilation system is clogged here and lubricant consumption appears.
- The weak points of this engine also include its supports, thermostat, pump and fuel pump.