The 2.4-liter 5-cylinder Volvo B5244S2 engine was assembled by the company from 1998 to 2009 and installed in its most popular models, such as the S60, S70, S80 or V70. This unit was essentially a derated version of the well-known motor with the B5244S index.
The 5-cylinder 2.3-2.4-liter Modular engine family includes: B5234T, B5244S, B5244S2, B5244S4, B5244T, B5244T3.
The engine was installed on:
- Volvo S60 I (384) in 2000 – 2009;
- Volvo S70 I (874) in 1999 – 2000;
- Volvo S80 I (184) in 1998 – 2006;
- Volvo V70 I (875) in 1999 – 2000; V70 I (875) in 2000 – 2007.
|Power output, hp||140|
|Torque output, Nm||220|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R5|
|Block head||aluminum 20v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||83|
|Piston stroke, mm||90|
|Phase regulator||at the intake|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.8|
|Euro standards||EURO 3/4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Volvo S80 2005)
|Engine lifespan, km||~380 000|
Disadvantages of the B5244S2 engine
- The most common failure of this engine is a rupture of the oil separator membrane;
- Also, a lot of complaints on specialized forums are related to the buggy electric choke Magneti Marelli;
- Carefully monitor the condition of the timing belt, or if it breaks, the valves will bend;
- When a ribbed belt breaks, it often tightens into the timing, which is fatal for the motor;
- Weaknesses also include a water pump, a gasoline pump and a phase regulator clutch.