The 2.3-liter Volvo B5234T turbo engine was assembled at the concern’s factory from 1993 to 1996 and was installed only on a charged modification of the 850 model known as the T5. There were other versions of this motor with names ranging from B5234T2 to B5234T9.
The engine was installed on:
- Volvo 850 in 1993 – 1996.
|Power output, hp||225|
|Torque output, Nm||300|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R5|
|Block head||aluminum 20v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||81|
|Piston stroke, mm||90|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.3|
|Euro standards||EURO 2|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Volvo 850 Kombi 1996)
|Engine lifespan, km||~240 000|
Disadvantages of the B5234T engine
- This is a very resourceful turbo engine, with proper maintenance it runs up to 300,000 km;
- Clogged crankcase ventilation here often results in high oil consumption;
- Closer to 200,000 km, the turbine shaft may wear out, which is also fraught with oil burn;
- The timing belt does not always serve the scheduled 120,000 km, and when it breaks, the valves bend;
- The weak points of the unit include the upper support, thermostat, pump and fuel pump.