The 1.8-liter Honda B18B gasoline engine was produced in Japan from 1992 to 2000 and was installed on several popular models of the company, primarily Civic and Integra. The B18B motor exists in four modifications, which are slightly different from each other.
The B-series also includes internal combustion engines: B16A, B16B, B18C and B20B.
The engine was installed on:
- Honda Civic 5 (EG) in 1992 – 1995;
- Honda Civic 6 (EJ) in 1995 – 2000;
- Honda Domani 1 (MA) in 1992 – 1996;
- Honda Integra 3 (DB) in 1993 – 2001;
- Honda Orthia 1 (EL) in 1996 – 1999.
Specifications (B18B1, B18B2, B18B3 and B18B4)
|Power output, hp||130 – 145|
|Torque output, Nm||165 – 175|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||81|
|Piston stroke, mm||89|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.0|
|Euro standards||EURO 3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Honda Civic 1994)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
Disadvantages of the Honda B18B engine
- This series of motors is very reliable and has virtually no characteristic weaknesses;
- Against the general background, only a thermostat and a water pump have a limited resource;
- After 200,000 km of run, the risk of sudden penetration of the cylinder head gasket increases;
- The timing belt is designed for 90,000 km, and if it breaks, the valves can bend here;
- Every 40,000 km, valve adjustment is required, since there are no hydraulic lifters.
Honda B18 engine modifications
- B18A1 – Regular version without VTEC for the North American market. Compression ratio 9.2, power 132 hp at 6000 rpm, torque 164 Nm at 5000 rpm. Installed on Acura Integra. For Japan, the B18A1 engine developed 142 hp at 6500 rpm, a torque of 178 Nm at 6100 rpm. The JDM version is found on the Honda Integra.
- B18B1 – improved B18A1, where they replaced the air filter, changed the angle of the fuel injectors and reflashed the control unit. Engine power 142 hp at 6300 rpm, torque 172 Nm at 5200 rpm. Installed on Integra, Domani, Orthia.
- B18B2 – B18B1 for Australia.
- B18B3 – Civic engine for South Africa and the Middle East. Power 130 hp at 6000 rpm, torque 167 Nm at 5000 rpm.
- B18B4 – Civic engine for South Africa and the Middle East. Power 140 hp at 6200 rpm, torque 171 Nm at 4900 rpm.
B18 Engine Repair Parts List
|Full name of the part||Part code|
|Inlet valve Honda B16A 5.5x33x102.3 (14711-PR3-000) Rocky||HMA1450|
|Exhaust valve Honda B16A/B17A/B18/D15B/D16Y/D16Z 5.5x28x102.5 (14721-PR3-000) Rocky||HMB1450|
|Full set of gaskets||GS110|
|Upper gasket set||DS110|
|Lower gasket set||ES110|
|Head gasket Honda B20A-5 DOHC 1988 (12251-PK1-661) Eristic||EG617|
|Valve cover gasket||JN769|
|Gasket, intake manifold||JC895|
|Gasket, exhaust pipe||70-52303-00|
|Oil scraper cap Honda Payen||PA528|
|Valve stem seals||PA529|
|Universal electric fuel pump 12V 0.32 Pierburg||7.21440.51.0|
|Basic liners Honda B16A Taiho||M461H-STD|
|Basic liners Honda B18/B20 Taiho||M458H-STD|
|Semi-rings persistent Honda B16A Taiho||T461A-STD|
|Semi-rings persistent Honda B20A Taiho||T458A-STD|
|Semi-rings persistent Honda L13A/L15A/LDA (13331-PR3-004/3) Taiho||T468A-STD|