Unlike the B18B, on which the manufacturer experimented without using VTEC, Honda decided to add VTEC to the 1.8-liter engine for the B18C. The release of the B18C engine marked the emergence of a new generation of engines with “motorcycle” characteristics, when more than 100 hp were obtained from one liter of volume, and which could spin over 9000 rpm.
The 1.8-liter Honda B18C gasoline engine was produced by the company from 1993 to 2001 and was installed on charged modifications of such popular models as Integra and Civic. The B18C motor existed in many versions and they are divided into two categories: conventional and Type R.
The B-series also includes internal combustion engines: B16A, B16B, B18B and B20B.
The engine was installed on:
- Honda Civic 6 (EJ) in 1995 – 2000;
- Honda Integra 3 (DB) in 1993 – 2001.
|Power output, hp||170 – 190 (B18C1, B18C2, B18C3 and B18C4)
190 – 200 (Type R: B18C5, B18C6 and B18C7)
|Torque output, Nm||170 – 175 (B18C1, B18C2, B18C3 and B18C4)
175 – 185 (Type R: B18C5, B18C6 and B18C7)
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||81|
|Piston stroke, mm||87.2|
|Compression ratio||10 – 10.8 (B18C1, B18C2, B18C3 and B18C4)
10.6 – 11.1 (Type R: B18C5, B18C6 and B18C7)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.0|
|Euro standards||EURO 3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Honda Integra Type R 1999)
|Engine lifespan, km||~325 000|
Disadvantages of the Honda B18C engine
- Both in the normal and in the forced version, this unit is very reliable;
- Up to 100 thousand km in the engine, only the thermostat and water pump can fail;
- The timing belt must be replaced at 90,000 km, otherwise, if it breaks, the valve will bend;
- The forums describe many cases of breaking through the cylinder head gasket at high mileage;
- Valves require adjustment every 40,000 km, since there are no hydraulic lifters.
Honda B18C engine modifications
- B18C Type-R – a modified B18C and an analogue of B18C5 with a compression ratio of 11.1. Power 200 hp at 8000 rpm, torque 186 Nm at 7200 rpm. The B18C 98 Spec R used a 4-1 exhaust manifold. This engine was installed on the Honda Integra Type R.
- B18C1 – engine for the North American Integra GS-R. Similar to the Japanese B18C, but the compression ratio is reduced to 10. VTEC shift occurs at 4400 rpm, intake manifold shift occurs at 5800 rpm. Acura Integra GS-R engine power – 170 hp at 6300 rpm, torque 145 Nm at 4800 rpm.
- B18C2 – analogue of B18C1 for Australia and New Zealand. Installed on Integra VTi-R.
- B18C3 – analogue of B18C1 for Asia. Installed on Integra.
- B18C4 is the European analogue of B18C1. Installed on Honda Civic and Prelude.
- B18C5 – modified B18C1 for the American Integra Type R. This engine uses new pistons for a compression ratio of 10.6 with deeper counterbores, light connecting rods, new camshafts (effective phase 240/235, lift 11.5 / 10.5 mm), VTEC switching is shifted to 5700 rpm, the intake and exhaust ports were ported, the intake valves were lightened with a slightly thinner stem and lighter head. And also, they used double valve springs, installed a throttle valve increased to 62 mm (on B18C1 – 60 mm), other candles, a new intake manifold and a more direct exhaust system on a 57 mm pipe. As a result, power has increased to 195 hp at 8000 rpm, and torque is now 176 at 7500 rpm. The cutoff was moved to 8400 rpm.
- B18C6 is the European analogue of the B18C Type R, which was installed on the Honda Integra Type R.
- B18C7 – Australian analogue of the B18C Type R, which was installed on the Honda Integra Type R.
B18 Engine Repair Parts List
|Full name of the part||Part code|
|Inlet valve Honda B16A 5.5x33x102.3 (14711-PR3-000) Rocky||HMA1450|
|Exhaust valve Honda B16A/B17A/B18/D15B/D16Y/D16Z 5.5x28x102.5 (14721-PR3-000) Rocky||HMB1450|
|Full set of gaskets||GS110|
|Upper gasket set||DS110|
|Lower gasket set||ES110|
|Head gasket Honda B20A-5 DOHC 1988 (12251-PK1-661) Eristic||EG617|
|Valve cover gasket||JN769|
|Gasket, intake manifold||JC895|
|Gasket, exhaust pipe||70-52303-00|
|Oil scraper cap Honda Payen||PA528|
|Valve stem seals||PA529|
|Universal electric fuel pump 12V 0.32 Pierburg||7.21440.51.0|
|Basic liners Honda B16A Taiho||M461H-STD|
|Basic liners Honda B18/B20 Taiho||M458H-STD|
|Semi-rings persistent Honda B16A Taiho||T461A-STD|
|Semi-rings persistent Honda B20A Taiho||T458A-STD|
|Semi-rings persistent Honda L13A/L15A/LDA (13331-PR3-004/3) Taiho||T468A-STD|