The 2.0-liter Volvo B4204T turbo engine was assembled at the concern’s factory from 1997 to 1999 and installed on some modifications of the S40 sedan or V40 station wagon before restyling. There are more powerful versions of the motor with indices B4204T2, B4204T3, B4204T4 and B4204T5.
The engine was installed on:
- Volvo S40 I (644) in 1997 – 1999;
- Volvo V40 I (645) in 1997 – 1999.
|Power output, hp||160|
|Torque output, Nm||230|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||83|
|Piston stroke, mm||90|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 2|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Volvo V40 1999)
|Engine lifespan, km||~275 000|
Disadvantages of the B4204T engine
- Turbo engines of this series are not problematic and have an impressive resource;
- On specialized forums, they often complain about oil consumption due to clogged crankcase ventilation;
- After 200,000 km, the cause of the oil burn may be the wear of the turbocharger shaft;
- The timing belt may not pass the scheduled 90,000 km, and when it breaks, the valves bend;
- Also, the fuel pump, the engine control unit and some sensors often fail here.