The new 3-liter 1KD-FTV diesel engine has significantly improved its performance, coming close to gasoline engines of the same capacity in terms of power and significantly exceeding them in terms of torque. However, it should be noted right away that in terms of dynamic performance, a car with such an engine is still significantly inferior to them.
The Toyota 1KD engine, which replaced the 1KZ, uses Denso’s Common rail injection system. The engine is also equipped with a Toyota CT16V turbocharger with variable geometry and an intercooler. This turbine generates a 1.1 bar excess.
Maintenance of 1KD motors is no different from standard motors in this class. Engine maintenance is carried out at intervals of 15,000 km. The recommended service must be carried out every 10,000 km.
The engine was installed on:
- Toyota 4Runner 4 (N210) in 2002 – 2009;
- Toyota Fortuner AN60 in 2004 – 2015; Fortuner 2 (AN160) since 2015;
- Toyota Hiace;
- Toyota Hilux 6 (N140) in 2001 – 2005; Hilux 7 (AN10) in 2005 – 2015; Hilux 8 (AN120) since 2015;
- Toyota LC Prado 120 (J120) in 2006 – 2009; LC Prado 150 (J150) since 2015.
|Production years||since 2000|
|Fuel system||Common Rail Denso|
|Power output, hp||109/3000
|Torque output, Nm||286/1200-1600
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||96|
|Piston stroke, mm||103|
|Timing drive||belt and gears|
|Phase regulator||VVT-i since 2013|
|Recommended engine oil||0W-30 (since 10.2010), 5W-30, 10W-30, 15W-40, 20W-50|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||7.0|
|Euro standards||EURO 2/3/4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Toyota Fortuner 2012)
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
The following modifications entered serial production:
- 1KD-FTV 109 hp – derated motor, tuning of which is the easiest;
- 1KD-FTV 136 HP – improved device of the gas distribution system;
- 1KD-FTV 163 HP – modified ignition and cooling system;
- 1KD-FTV 170 HP – modified attachments, control scheme and piston design;
- 1KD-FTV 173 HP – maximized power.
- up to 2011, aluminum pistons on these engines often cracked;
- injectors do not like bad fuel and can clog up to 100 thousand km;
- problems with the unstable operation of the internal combustion engine are solved after adjusting the valves;
- the motor is prone to coking with rings and oil grease;
- vibrations are symptoms of a cracked piston that periodically occurs with a Euro-4 engine;
- white smoke, low oil pressure – models produced between the end of 2004 and 2007 had a problem with low-quality copper washers under the nozzles and it is advisable to replace them with normal aluminum ones.