For the first time Toyota 4A was released in 1982 and did not leave the assembly line until 2002. The first two characters in its name indicate that this is the fourth modification in the “A” series of engines produced by the company. The series began ten years earlier, when the company’s engineers set out to create a new engine for Toyota Tercel, which would provide more economical fuel consumption and better technical performance.
Deeside Engine Plant
Tianjin FAW Toyota Engine’s Plant No. 1
|Also called||Toyota 4A|
|Cylinder block alloy||cast iron|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Valves per cylinder||4/2/5|
|Piston stroke, mm||77|
|Cylinder bore, mm||81|
|Power output, hp||78/5600
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||117/2800
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Celica GT)
|Oil consumption, gr/1000 km||up to 1000|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30 / 10W-30 / 15W-40 / 20W-50|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.9|
|Oil change interval, km||10000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C||—|
|Engine lifespan, km
— official information
- Excessive fuel consumption. The reason is the lambda probe. Replacement required. It is also necessary to diagnose the absolute pressure sensor if there are vibrations in idle, dark smoke and plaque on the candles.
- Burnout fuel plus vibration – need to clean injectors.
- Interruptions in turnover or freezing. Idle valve defective. You also need to clean the throttle valve and adjust its position sensor.
- No motor start and floating speed. The thermal sensor is out of order.
- Interruptions in speed. It is necessary to clean the throttle valve, KXX, injectors, crankcase valve and spark plugs.
- The engine often goes out. The reason is a gasoline pump, distributor or fuel filter.
- Oil burn. Replace rings and valve stem seals.
- Knocking on the motor. It is usually produced by piston pins. If the mileage is high, the valve clearances need to be adjusted.
On average, unit 4A (as well as 5A and 7A based on it) is designed for at least 300 thousand km of track. Lean Burn versions are not recommended for purchase, as they do not differ in good performance.