The 1.6-liter Toyota 4A-FHE injection engine was produced by the company from 1990 to 1995 and was installed on the fifth generation of the Carina model and the popular Sprinter Carib station wagon in Japan. This power unit is essentially just a sports version of the famous 4A-FE engine.
The engine was installed on:
- Toyota Carina 5 (T170) in 1990 – 1992;
- Toyota Sprinter 6 (E90) in 1990 – 1995.
|Power output, hp||110|
|Torque output, Nm||142|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||81|
|Piston stroke, mm||77|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.0|
|Euro standards||EURO 2|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Toyota Carina 1990)
|Engine lifespan, km||~320 000|
Disadvantages of the 4A-FHE engine
- Sports settings did not affect the reliability of the unit and it lasts a long time;
- On specialized forums, they most often complain about oil consumption, as well as the sound of piston pins;
- The reason for the floating engine speed is usually the contamination of the injectors or the throttle;
- There are no hydraulic lifters here, valve clearances need to be adjusted every 90,000 km;
- The remaining problems of this motor are associated with malfunctions in the ignition system.